When it comes to finding the right baby monitor for you and your baby it can be difficult to decide which one you should buy. There are so many different types available each with different features and settings. We’ve compiled a guide to help you determine which baby monitor is best for you.
To get you started you’ll need to decide what you’re actually going to be using your baby monitor for. For example if you’re just planning to use it around a small flat then you might just want a basic one that allows you to hear your baby cry, but if you’re often in the garden then you’ll need a baby monitor with a good signal range that’s louder than usual.
Do I Need A Baby Monitor?
There are many reasons why parents want to invest in a baby monitor:
- If you spend a lot of time outside or you have a large house
- If you are hard of hearing
- You have pets and need to close the doors in the home
- You feel more comfortable having one
Baby monitors can range from as little as £20 for the most basic, to over £150 for the most equipped. The price will depend on what you need your baby monitor for – if you do not want or need a baby monitor with all the special effects and features then it won’t be necessary to spend a lot of money. Ultimately it comes down to what you need and what best suits your personality.
Type Of Home
The type of home will reflect which baby monitor you should buy. If you have a large home or a home with different levels then you will need a baby monitor with a wider signal range. Whereas some older homes have thicker walls and so you might need a baby monitor to ensure that the signal can travel though and that you can hear your baby crying from wherever you are in the house.
Different baby monitors have different signal ranges. For your baby monitor to be effective you’ll need to have a good signal range – 80m is ideal. You should test the signal of your baby monitor in the house as soon as you get it to ensure you can hear your baby. Some monitors also have a feature that lets you know if your monitors are too far away from each other. If you’ve got a wireless baby monitor then you’ll need to check that there is a sufficient Wi-Fi connection in your baby’s room.
There are many different baby monitor features, some you will find useful and some may not be for you. It’s important to only choose a baby monitor that has the right features for you.
- Visual alarm. Some audio monitors also have a visual alarm, normally in the form of flashing lights. This is a useful feature if you’re hard of hearing. Remember that the lights will flash while you are still sleeping – if you are easily woken then this might not be the best option for you.
- Video and audio monitor. There are monitors that include a video screen in addition to sound. This enables you to see as well as hear your baby.
- Talk-back. If your baby calms instantly when hearing your voice, choosing a monitor with a talk-back feature could be ideal for you. You simply talk into the monitor nearest to you and the monitor in the baby room receives it, reassuring your baby.
- Temperature sensor. If you’re worried about your home being too warm or too cold then buying a baby monitor with a temperature sensor may come in useful. It tells you the temperature of the baby’s room, letting you know if it’s too warm or too cold.
- Lullabies. This feature is great if your baby needs a lullaby to drop off to sleep. The monitor plays lullabies to your baby. Many baby monitors that include lullabies also include light shows.
- Night light. This is a simple feature but it could make a difference to how your baby sleeps. Some baby monitors include a night light which creates a calming light for your baby to sleep in.
Different monitors suit different parents, what might work for you may not work for someone else. It’s important to bear this in mind when shopping to ensure that you buy the right baby monitor for you and your baby. Don’t just rush out and buy a baby monitor, do your research and consider what you need it for first to avoid buying the wrong one. Don’t forget to charge your baby monitor regularly to ensure it does not run out of battery too.
Browse our wide range of baby monitors at BT Shop today to find the right one for you.